Coronary artery disease is among the most frequent form of heart disease, with 70% of the risk caused by lifestyle circumstances. Most women aren’t conscious of the danger they face.
Coronary artery disease isn’t just the most prevalent kind of heart disease there, but it is also among the significant causes of death in the world. Stroke and heart attack is the most common reason for premature deaths among Canadian women. It is estimated that three thousand Canadian women die due to strokes and heart diseases each year.
German researchers recently discovered that 30% of your chance of developing this type of heart condition is genetic. The remaining 70 per cent is due to lifestyle elements, so there’s plenty one can take to decrease the risk of developing. “Prevention is crucial,” says Dr Cindy Yip, a director at Canada’s Heart & Stroke Foundation. “Women are vastly ignorant of the risks they are facing.”
Is your family at risk?
In Canada, women die from stroke, heart disease or vascular cognitive decline every eleven minutes. while there are more women suffering grows each calendar year, Yip states that most people don’t realize they’re at risk. “We conducted a survey of 220 women and found that they’re largely ignorant of the risk they’re facing,” says Yip. Nine out of 10 women living in Canada are at risk of having one risk factor for heart-related diseases and illnesses (including smoking, hypertension or smoking cigarettes, high cholesterol/abnormal lipids and abdominal obesity, diabetes, drinking alcohol, and a poor diet).
Even among women who are aware of the dangers, most of them aren’t aware of the risk. “Among women with the riskiest risk, over half dismiss their risk as minimal or moderate,” Yip says. Be aware of the warning signs.
Most women who suffer heart attack-related symptoms don’t know the signs. (We are much more likely than men to experience the dramatic “Hollywood heart attack.”) You should dial 911 whenever you feel the pressure, squeezing, or burning sensations in your chest, discomfort in your jaw, neck and shoulder, or your arms and back, or you feel nauseated or short of breath or feel lightheaded. All of these are typical symptoms of heart attacks in women. Ensure you stop any activity, whether lying down or sitting down and remain relaxed while waiting for emergency medical professionals to arrive. If you have many risks, it’s best to record the medications you take in your wallet or on your phone. The doctors will want to be aware of the details.
Visit Cornerstone Pharmacy to learn more about health.